I am a Mexican-British photographer based in the United Kingdom with a socially driven focus whose work explores themes of place, belonging and identity. The personal experience is often my departure point to explore universal issues concerned with the human condition.
I have worked in the fields of photography and education for the past fifteen years and have extensive experience working with young people and underrepresented communities. My series Uncovering the Invisible: A Portrait of Latin Americans in the UK, commissioned by The University of Nottingham and supported by the AHRC, was exhibited in London City Hall as part of The Mayor of London’s public programme in 2014 attracting marginalised groups and ethnic minority audiences, and toured to other important venues across the UK.
In 2018 I was recipient of The National Criminal Justice Arts Alliance Bursary and a grant from The Digital Women’s Archive North to publish the book entitled Operation Jurassic, a collaborative photographic series raising issues on freedom of expression and justice through my familial experience of imprisonment.
Among the organisations and institutions I have collaborated with are Redeye: The Photography Network, Impressions Gallery, Open Eye Gallery, The University of Bolton, Manchester Art Gallery, HOME, Manchester Metropolitan University, The Travelling Heritage Bureau, Manchester City Council and Community Arts NorthWest.
View my CV here.
Publications & Books
- Moral Turpitude, Undocumented Press, 2021
- United, Work Show Grow, 2021
- Nuart Journal, 2020
- WordPlay Magazine, 2019
- Operation Jurassic Book, ThePavement Studio, 2018
- Prison Photography, www.prisonphotography.org, 2018
- Thread Bearing Witness, Alice Kettle Exhibition Catalogue, 2018
- Do Mix Meh Up, The Oxford Diasporas Programme, 2015
- Uncovering the Invisible, The University of Nottingham, 2014
- MA - Photography / Distinction: The University of Bolton, UK, 2019 - 2020.
- BA - Fine Art / First Class (Hons): Faculty of Art & Design, Mexico, 2000 - 2004.
- Work Show Grow (Current member) - Online, UK
- Fine Art Large Format Black and White Printing - Selenium Studio, Mexico City
- Photographic Conservation - National School of Conservation, Mexico City
Awards & Funding
- Vice Chancellors Award, The University of Bolton, 2021
- National Criminal Justice Arts Alliance Bursary 2018
- Digital Women's Archive North (DWAN)
- Office for Cultural and Scientific Affairs (Embassy of Spain)
- Arts & Humanities Research Council (University of Nottingham)
- Impressions Gallery, Bradford
- The Cervantes Institute Manchester
- Aston University, Birmingham
- London City Hall
- University of Exeter
- Lakeside Gallery, Nottingham
- Stella Dore Gallery, Hastings
- Manchester Art Gallery
- Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester
- Neo Gallery, Bolton
- University of London
- HOME, Manchester
- Park Theatre, London
- Open Eye Gallery, Liverpool
- Miniclicks, Leeds
- Redeye, Manchester
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- The University of Manchester
- Impressions Gallery, Bradford
- The Cervantes Institute, Manchester
- The University of Bolton
- Snappy Valley, Todmorden
- The University of Exeter
- Gateway College, Leicester